Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Favorite Class

Let me tell you about my character. I’m playing a star pact warlock named Melech in Chris Perkins’s weekly game. Melech has learned the secret names of the stars. He’s caught a glimpse of a realm far beyond the lamps of night. Though it nearly drove him insane, he gained amazing power thereby. He can madden or terrify his enemies, scour his foes with star curses, and cast all manner of terrifying spells.
Although my preference could change over time, it wouldn’t be a mischaracterization to say that the warlock is one of my favorite D&D classes. I first played a “warlock” named Japheth as a made up class in my friend JD Sparks campaign in 1984, but “official” warlocks appeared in D&D during 3rd edition, and showed up in the first player’s handbook of 4th Edition D&D.
I happen to know that my friend Rob Schwalb has an unhealthy interest with assassins. Something to do with the staby-staby, perhaps. Assassins have been around since forever (as in, the Blackmoor supplement as a thief sub-class).
And my friend Monte Cook is enamored with Wizards. And really, who isn’t? Wizards learn magic, and with enough study, become archmages or lichs, and may even get spells named after them if they become famous enough. D&D has had wizards since the beginning, though they started the game with the name magic-users.
Throughout its history, D&D has published dozens of classes, from cavaliers to barbarians, and shamans to thief-acrobats. And you probably have a favorite. Just to keep the list of choices manageable, let’s restrict the possibilities only to classes that have appeared in a player’s handbook (and moreover, a player’s handbook that served as the initial offering of a given edition).
QUESTION: What is your favorite class from across the editions?
ANSWERS:
assassin
barbarian
bard
cleric
druid
fighter
illusionist
monk
psion/psionicist
ranger
rogue/thief
paladin
sorcerer
warlock
warlord
wizard/magic-user

No comments: