Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Travel 2024

 Hey Earthlings!

It's been a travel-rific year for me so far, which for someone who's only so-so about travel, has been an , uh... let's call it an interesting journey ;).

Some of the farther-away places I've stayed this year include Austin TX, Indianapolis IN, Eugene OR, and most recently, Denver CO where I was excited to hang out with the old high-school gang--we even enjoyed a couple of entirely wonderful RPG sessions!

But I've still got several trips ahead, including to Madison WI (for Gamehole Con next week--come find me, I'll be running these games and on these panels!), Cleveland OH, and Watertown SD (to celebrate my Mom's 75th birthday along with my siblings),

That's seven trips in a year, which is a record for me. And as I said, I'm a bit of a homebody, so there's always a bit of discomfort for me when it comes to travel. Unfortunately, that discomfort wasn't merely metaphorical on my trip to Denver a week or so ago, thanks to an unrelentingly painful knot in my upper back. 

Which is sort of a perfect segue into something that all this travel has me thinking about this year: Travel is often challenging and uncomfortable when you're going someplace you're not familiar with. But should I embrace this discomfort because I know it's good for me in the end?

Probably. Now that I've put all this time, I'm suddenly remembering the first time I went to the UK in early 2000 (Wizards wanted me to sell Gen Con UK con-goers on how great 4E D&D was going to be). The first two days crept up on me, throwing one challenge after another—how to turn on the lights my room, turn on the taps, adjust the thermostat, plug in my razer, and so many other little things that couldn't be taken for granted. The stress built up... but then suddenly on day three, my perspective shifted, and this wave of elation swept over me as I looked out the window and saw the morning sun on the countryside. I was on another continent, I was making new friends, and I was in it for the next week, so no use in doing anything other than enjoy it! That was a great feeling, and sure enough, the rest of my trip was fantastic. 

So yeah. Travel can lead to personal growth. No news there. But that knowledge is something I try to keep in mind before each new trip. Homebody Bruce is home most of the year. He needs to get out once in awhile, right?

No comments: