Thursday, October 1, 2026

Strange Sickness

 Hey friends!

Hope you are well. It's been a busy time for me, including a funeral last weekend, but I got home in time to see our guest Peter, who had scheduled a visit for the same weekend.

I seem well enough in the photo with Peter, Batgirl, and me above, and in fact I was positive I was on the upswing and had kicked a head cold from a week earlier. But it turns out, no. Before this, I've never had a regular head cold last more than 5 to 7 days. At 13 days in (or maybe having got a brand new cold?), armed with what I thought might be worrying info my Fitbit helpfully passed along, I sought advice at urgent care.

Because in the back of my mind was the memory of what had happened to me in 2018 when I thought my "cold" was lingering so long that it must have turned into pneumonia—I was actually suffering from blood clots in both my lungs.  (Click the link to see how that played out, but spoiler — I lived.)

Back to the present; I got some good news from urgent care: the NP said my symptoms still indicate a cold. I've never had a cold with symptoms for so many weeks, but apparently they can persist for about four (or more!) weeks after the initial phase. 

As I noted, I'm two weeks in (or have a new one), and am advised to take Mucinex twice a day. Ug. But hey, better than dual pulmonary embolisms, amirite?

It's strange, but at least understandable. Sorta like what I'm dropping behind my Patreon paywall: a couple of pregenerated characters for The Strange.

No comments: