Thursday, April 17, 2008

Democratic Debate?

I watched Sen. Obama debate Sen. Clinton last night. At least for a while, until I couldn't take it any more. I was shocked to see the debate moderators spend so much time on such insanely mundane topics. Pastors? Elitism? Flag pins? Really? What a load of horse manure.

I've been in many debates--I enjoyed a career of it in high school (my partner and I won our state debate tournament). So I can safely tell you that what I saw was not a debate. It was... I don't know. A side show? Something designed to debase both candidates?

However, I was heartened to see Obama repeatedly but respectfully "scold" the moderators for the manufactured issues they seemed most interested in dwelling on. Obama attempted to wrench the debate back to issues of significance (while Sen. Clinton seemed all to willing to stick with the minutia, to my great and real disappointment).

Even in such a ludicrous format, Obama showed himself to be a leader. Let's get this man elected and move forward saving this country, shall we?

3 comments:

Jeff LaSala said...

I'm really not one for vulgar humor...but your post made me think of this article from The Onion's video series:

http://tinyurl.com/2e2qgl

You might appreciate it, Bruce. :)

Anonymous said...

Do you think the spat between Clinton & Obama, and their camps, will degrade the Democratic nominee's ability to wage a solid campaign in the fall? It seems like the current climate on the left is so muddled... I hope they can pull it together so people have a real choice in December.

Bruce Cordell said...

Jeff, I'll check that out ;-).

Ed, Yes, I'm afraid that Clinton's campaign will have fomented so much dislike for Obama among her supporters that some of the will not support him when he gets the nomination. And if she were to get the nomination, some Obama supporters could be so pissed at the way her campaign went dirty instead of talking to the issues that they'll simply not vote.

I hope that whoever loses the nomination goes WAY out of their way to make redress so this doesn't become an actual issue.