Friday, August 28, 2026

Something A Little Different

 Hey Friends!

Yesterday Batgirl and I visited the Minnesota State Fair!

Neither one of us had ever visited a state fair before, if you can believe it. But enough people asked us if we were going to the state fair, we decided, sure, why not? Let's see what this fair thing is all about. Word on the street was that we'd be able to eat some really weird stuff, which was enough to sell me.

Here's what I noted in my workload report at MCG, since I ended up taking the day off to attend, and I figured everyone was owed an explanation:

We walked in, and later walked out, about 20 minutes both ways for Lyft drop-off and pickup, respectively. In the middle of that, we walked for three more hours on top of that during the fair itself, so lots of walking.

The dinosaur fossil exhibit was great, super-well-done, and engaging. I learned new things about dinosaurs, which given all the dinosaur exhibits I've seen (most recently at the Natural History Museum in the UK), is impressive. Especially given that this one was a pop-up exhibit at a state fair.

There were lots of people at the MN state fair. Lots.

I drank a hazy IPA called Mass-haze-steria, ate a mole taco , a porkchop on a stick, and a pretzel dog. We tried to find a few specific weird things to eat, but the lines to sample those items were too long for us to engage. Did I mention lots of people were there?

We saw some sheep being sheared, some fun scarecrow contest winners, lots of crop art, impressively huge horses, and bees.

My sunscreen didn't quite do the job.

Overall, glad to have tried something different for the day.

So yeah, it was something a little different...

Speaking of something a little different, instead of dropping another chapter of Dreamrider in the Nightland over at my Patreon, I thought I'd marry my two professional spheres of creativity by taking a piece of novel fiction and adding a dash of Cypher stats, under MCG's  Open Game License. 

Check it out (if you are one of my beloved patrons): a creature from the first chapter—an unraveler.

No comments: